Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Best Running Tunes of 2012

When I first started running, I was plugged into my ipod every mile. The time caught me up on podcasts, news, and lots and lots of music, about which I am--and always have been--somewhat obsessed. Now, however, I am most often running with a friend (and therefore chatting), or I'm on trails (which often means no ipod), so listening to music when I run has become a rare treat.

As much power as music has in my daily life, its hold and magnificence is magnified x100 when running. One single song during an incredible single mile has the ability to be a complete game changer; a moment I will reflect on (and try to emulate) for months and months. At this point in my life, my memory is getting a bit slippery, but ask me what song was playing when I sailed downhill  for 10 minutes on Idle Hour trail in October and I don't even have to think, I can feel it in my bones. In my heart.

Here are, then, in no order, songs that made me smile, laugh, cry, leap, twirl, or send my arms out like wings. Because when a song can make you feel like you're flying, you'll love it forever.

1. Kishi Bashi - Bright Whites
2. Lost in the Trees - Golden Eyelids
3. Bellflur - Gasoline Heaven
4. Of Montreal - Grolandic Exit
5. The Walkmen - Angela Surf City
6. Plants and Animals - Bye Bye Bye
7. Vetiver - Everyday
8. Conor Oberst - Kodachrome
9. Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill
10. Calexico - Epic
11. Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built

OK, 11. Link into all of these; pretend you're on a perfect, soaring run.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I dig the sentiment and now have some new music to check out.

    ReplyDelete